Wednesday, July 13, 2011

So what did everyone think of The Night Watch?

I ended up having to watch at a fairly low ebb from my sick bed, so was perhaps an easier target than I might otherwise have been, but despite my reservations I ended up really enjoying it. The casting was excellent, the drama of the war and the drabness of its aftermath beautifully conjured (I loved the opening sequence of Kay pacing through a dreary, dusty city, the only splash of colour a lipstick-red telephone box); best of all, the book's onion-layering was preserved.

Naturally, much was lost (this was, as the Guardian's TV review points out, a 500-page book shaved down to 90 minutes) but the sweep of it felt confident and convincing. It did for me, in fact, what the best adaptations do: reminded me of the brilliance of the book itself. What did you make of it? Good, bad, indifferent?


guardian.co.uk © Guardian News & Media Limited 2011 | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds


Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2011/jul/13/night-watch

Dennis Quaid Shia LeBouef Bruno Mars Thierry Henry

No comments:

Post a Comment